Asthma is a condition that can be either a little irritating to deal with or potentially life-threatening. Millions of people suffer from asthma each day, attempting to avoid triggers to prevent asthma attacks.
There is no cure for asthma, but many people manage their attacks using corticosteroid inhalers. Unfortunately, these medications don’t always work for everyone, and nor are they the optimal choice for people searching for a natural solution.
Certain vitamins and supplements may help improve lung function and decrease the risk or severity of asthma symptoms. Visit a vitamin and supplement store in Eau Claire, WI to learn more about these supplements and try out a few to potentially improve your asthma naturally.
Asthma occurs when there is inflammation in the lining of the bronchial tubes, or airways. This typically happens in response to an environmental trigger that causes an asthma attack. Triggers might include pollen, dust, smoke or other airborne substances.
During an asthma attack, the airways will tighten and the lungs will begin to develop an excess of mucus, making it difficult to breathe. This may cause a myriad of symptoms, including shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing and tightness in the chest.
Supplements to aid asthma
Asthma is tied to inflammation because of the significant inflammation it produces in the airways. Thus, anti-inflammatory vitamins and minerals may help reduce the effects of asthma. The following vitamins and mineral supplements may improve asthma symptoms or reduce the risk of asthma attacks:
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatories. These anti-inflammatory properties may help reduce symptoms of asthma like wheezing and coughing by improving the inflammation in the lungs.
- Vitamin C: Similarly to vitamin E, vitamin C may help reduce the risk of wheezing and coughing in people with asthma due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Vitamin D: Supplements of vitamin D may help improve lung function through anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps bolster the immune system. Studies have shown that vitamin D may also help reduce the lung’s sensitivity to asthmatic triggers.
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A may help with the development of lung pathways in children. It may also help control the side effects of asthma.
- Vitamin B6: During an asthma attack, the bronchial smooth muscles contract, in addition to the airways becoming inflamed. An increased intake of vitamin B6 may help the body relax these bronchial smooth muscles, helping to control asthma attack symptoms.
- Magnesium: Similarly to vitamin B6, increased magnesium intake may also help relax the bronchial smooth muscles. This may help reduce asthma symptoms like wheezing and difficulty breathing.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Regarded as one of the best natural anti-inflammatories, omega-3 fatty acids like the ones in fish oil may help reduce inflammation in the lungs and airways for easier breathing.
Browse supplements at our vitamin and supplement store in Eau Claire, WI
Mother Nature’s Food is a vitamin and supplement store in Eau Claire, WI that offers a wide selection of healthy foods, health and beauty products, essential oils and vitamins and supplements to bolster your health. Visit us today and ask our friendly staff for recommendations and additional information about our products!
Categorised in: Vitamins