Perhaps you’ve heard about the immune-boosting power of elderberries, and are curious to learn more about what this plant can offer you. At Mother Nature’s Food, we’re fans of elderberry supplements thanks to their wide range of applications—plus, the berries and flowers themselves taste great! Read on to learn about some of the many elderberry benefits in Eau Claire, WI!
What is elderberry?
Elderberry comes from the European elder tree (not to be confused with elderflower or American elder). It’s a dark purple berry that is used to make medicines. Some Native American tribes used it to treat infections, while ancient Egyptians used it to enhance their complexions and treat burns. The berry has been used in folk medicine for centuries and across cultures. In modern society, it’s most often used as a supplement for cold and flu prevention. The berries are quite tart and need to be cooked before consuming, but the flowers are edible on their own.
Elderberry is high in vitamin C, dietary fiber (when eaten as a fruit), phenolic acids, flavonols and anthocyanins. Here’s a closer look at what elderberry can do for you:
- Immune system boost: The top use for elderberry is to provide an immune system boost in Eau Claire, WI, which helps ward off cold, flu and other infectious diseases—which is especially important at this time of year. It can also help reduce the severity and length of the flu if you already have it.
- Sinus and nerve pain: Historically, elderberry has been used to reduce pain, including sinus, sciatic and other nerve pain. This is likely due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Laxative and increased urine flow: Many cultures have used elderberry as a laxative and to increase urine flow, and even sweating.
- Heart disease and high cholesterol: Although the results are inconclusive, there is scientific evidence pointing to elderberries as beneficial in fighting heart disease and high cholesterol, thanks to the flavonols and antioxidants present in the berry.
- Inflammation: The anthocyanins in elderberry have a strong anti-inflammatory effect. (They also give the fruit its dark purple color.)
Scientists continue to research the effects of elderberries, which may also help fight cancer, depression, bacteria, UV radiation and a whole host of other conditions. You should talk to your doctor before starting any kind of vitamin or supplement regimen, but we’re big fans of this tiny, tart purple berry at Mother Nature’s Food.
Get an immune system boost with elderberries in Eau Claire, WI
Now that you know about the benefits of elderberries, why not stop by and check out one of our elderberry supplements? Mother Nature’s Food carries a full range of immune system boosting supplements in Eau Claire, WI, along with other natural and organic products that range from beauty and hair to essential oils and food items. Our store is stocked with loads of goods designed to make you feel your best. Stop in today to ask for recommendations and assistance finding the right products for you and your family.