You should always make it your goal to treat your body to the right vitamins, supplements and nutrition all year long, but it’s especially important in the winter. As the weather gets colder and drier, your body works overtime to stay warm and healthy—but your immune system is more susceptible to colds, flus and other problems. This is especially true for seniors, who are less equipped to deal with the harsh weather.
Luckily, taking a few preventative supplements and important vitamins can help you combat the frigid Eau Claire, WI weather:
- Zinc: Zinc is a naturally-occurring mineral that supports the immune system. In addition to immune health, it can regulate your appetite, as well as your sense of taste and smell. If you’re suffering from loss of appetite due to the inability to taste or smell, you might not be getting adequate nutrition from your food. Zinc can help improve your senses so that you feel like eating.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is another immune-boosting supplement. It helps your immune system fight off the colds and flu that are so prevalent during the winter months, giving your system a boost so it can keep working overtime. You can get vitamin C in citrus fruits, but it also comes as a supplement for extra immune-boosting power.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is usually absorbed through the skin by sunlight, but during the short, dark winter days, it’s more difficult to get the nutrition naturally. Vitamin D also plays a crucial role in regulating depression, and also strengthens the bones, which is a must for seniors. Vitamin D2 is the synthetic form that can be found on its own or in calcium supplements.
- Vitamin E: Is your skin dry, flaky or peeling from the winter weather? You might be lacking in vitamin E. It’s often mixed into lotions, or oils like avocado or coconut oil. These can be applied directly to the skin, and will help eliminate flakiness while keeping your skin soft and supple. It’s great for protecting the skin from damage, which, again, seniors are more susceptible to.
- Elderberry: Elderberry offers naturally-occurring antioxidants, which help fight off infections, among other health benefits. In fact, it has more antioxidants than even blueberries, which are considered a superfood. This helps you ward off cold, flu and other infectious diseases.
Always check with your doctor before starting a supplement regimen, but when you’re ready to learn more, visit us at Mother Nature’s Food.
Get preventative supplements in Eau Claire, WI
At Mother Nature’s Food, we want you to stay healthy, starting with important vitamins and preventative supplements in Eau Claire, WI. We also carry a wide range of natural, organic hair and beauty products, essential oils and food items. Mother Nature’s Food believes that what we put into and on our bodies matters, which is why we carry only the best natural products. Stop in today to check out our selection and ask our friendly staff for recommendations. We look forward to assisting you!