Ingredients to Avoid in Your Beauty Products: Do Some Research Before You Purchase Natural Beauty Products in Eau Claire, WI
It is important for consumers to use just as much discretion with what’s on the label of their beauty products as they do with analyzing the labels of their food. While the FDA regulations do apply to the beauty product industry, these regulations are minimal when it comes to the kinds of chemicals a company can or cannot put into its products.
The next time you purchase natural beauty products in Eau Claire, WI, make sure to avoid products that use any of the following types of ingredients:
- Parabens: Parabens are a type of preservative commonly used in beauty products. They prevent the growth of bacteria and mold, but they have harmful side effects. For example, some of their estrogen-mimicking properties have been associated with a heightened risk of breast cancer. Studies have shown how parabens have appeared in biopsy samples from breast tumors after being absorbed through the skin.
- Synthetic colors: Dyes and synthetic colors are common in processed food and many beauty products. They come from petroleum and coal tar, and are believed to be a carcinogen and a skin irritant. The European Union has banned synthetic colors due to the health risks associated with them.
- Phthalates: These are chemicals primarily used to increase the softness and flexibility of plastics. They are especially common in nail polish, lotions and perfumes—common examples include dibutyl, diethyl and dimethyl. Again, these substances have been shown to increase the risk of breast cancer. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to determine if a product includes phthalates, as they are not disclosed on every product they appear in.
- Triclosan: This antimicrobial chemical disrupts the function of the endocrine system, especially the thyroid and production of reproductive hormones. It also has been shown to be a skin irritant. Some studies have shown that triclosan can contribute to making bacteria resistant to antibiotics, which is obviously a major problem.
- Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde is a type of preservative used primarily for preventing bacteria growth in a wide variety of applications, including cosmetics. The chemical was classified as a human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Carcinogens, and exposure to it has been connected with various types of cancers. It also causes allergic reactions and skin irritations, and can have harmful side effects on the immune system. Watch out for formaldehyde in nail polish, conditioners, shampoos, eye shadow, cleaners and more.
- Sunscreen chemicals: Certain types of chemicals found specifically in sunscreens can be harmful to the body. While they help to absorb ultraviolet light, they are also endocrine disruptors and can cause cellular damage and cancer. Common examples of these harmful chemicals include avobenzone, homosalate, benzophenone, PABA and methoxycinnamate.
These are just a few examples of some harmful substances and chemicals found in some of the beauty products you are likely to be using. To avoid these issues, purchase natural beauty products from Mother Nature’s Food in Eau Claire, WI and stay away from cheap, mass-produced products packed with harmful chemicals.
Categorised in: Natural Products