We’re currently in the midst of the three nice months of the year we get here in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, the lovely temperatures are often accompanied by plenty of bugs, including mosquitoes, flies and gnats. For this reason, it’s important to have some pest protection strategies in place so you can make the most out of the short summers we have.
For some people, finding means of natural pest prevention in Eau Claire, WI is very important, especially if they don’t like to rely too much on chemicals. Here are a few tips to naturally protect against these pests:
- Wear sleeves: Long-sleeved shirts, long pants and socks can all help you to avoid insect bites. While this can be a little unpleasant if the weather is particularly hot, usually the evenings cool off enough to the point where light fabrics and long sleeves can protect against bucks pretty well.
- Keep window screens in good condition: All screens on windows and doors should be kept in good condition so you can effectively keep bugs from getting into your home.
- Consider ticks when outside: The best way of protecting yourself against ticks is to tuck your long pants into your socks and avoid spending time in underbrush and tall grass. It can help you to keep your lawn cut short as well. Make sure you check yourself before going indoors, and give your pets their tick prevention products at regular intervals.
- Use mosquito-repelling plants: There are certain types of plants that act as natural mosquito repellents, including geraniums with scents, lemon thyme, marigold, sweet basil, sassafras, tansy and citrosa. Plant these strategically in gathering places around your home to help keep the bugs away.
- Use yellow bulbs: Place yellow light bulbs in your outdoor fixtures. These are less likely to attract bugs than standard white bulbs.
- Use fans: This is an especially good idea if you’re going to be enjoying any meals outside. Placing fans in the area can discourage bugs from coming and trying to get at the food. And of course, be sure to pick up any food in the area if you spill it and after you’re done eating it.
- Bring in predators: It can also help to encourage the presence and proliferation of some natural predators for some of the more common pests you get in your area. These might include dragonflies, ladybugs, spiders, birds, praying mantises and bats. In addition, if you have any ponds in your backyard, it can help to fill them with fish, which will eat mosquito larvae before they hatch.
- Stay inside: You always have the option of staying inside… but do you really want to do that when the weather is actually nice outside in Wisconsin?
These are just a few examples of some of the strategies you can use to naturally fight against pests. For more information about natural pest prevention in Eau Claire, WI, we encourage you to contact Mother Nature’s Food. We’ll happily provide you with additional tips, and we also carry many natural products that can be helpful in your quest to enjoy a pest-free property!
Categorised in: Health Tips