We’ve all been there—our noses red and raw from blowing them so many times, our lungs sore from the hacking cough, that heavy feeling in our heads from clogged sinuses. The common cold and its even worse friend the flu have become a typical part of the winter season. Though these illnesses are around in the summer, they thrive during the winter months when people spend more time indoors, close to each other and with more compromised immune systems.
It might seem like colds and flus are unavoidable, but they don’t have to be. A visit to your local vitamin and supplement store in Eau Claire, WI will help you stock up on what you need to make sure your immune system is in top condition. Along with the power of supplements, check out the following tips to prevent the spread of cold and flu this winter:
- Wash, wash, wash: One of the most important and perhaps overlooked ways of preventing illness is to wash your hands frequently. The cold and flu spread easily, and killing off any germs with warm water and soap is important. Make sure to scrub for at least 20 seconds to rid yourself of germs, though.
- Eat right: Try to avoid some of that extra fatty holiday food and instead commit to a healthy diet that is high in nutrients and fiber. This will keep your gut healthy and your body functioning well enough to fight off any germs that you encounter.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking lots of clean and cool water will help you out more than you can imagine. If you drink enough water, you’ll maintain your mucous membranes in your nose and eyes. These membranes help to catch germs, and they’re less effective when they are dry.
- Get enough sleep: Getting enough sleep helps the body’s immune system work better. Though the holidays can be stressful and busy, it’s important to take a break and unwind with at least seven to nine hours of sleep per night.
- Boost your immune system: Taking vitamin supplements and immune boosters can provide another added layer of protection against viruses and infections. Taking extra Vitamin D supplements, for example, has correlated with fewer cold and flu cases during the winter, and other antioxidants like glutathione and curcumin also boost your immune system.
Feeling a little lost about what supplements would best help your body fight off any winter illness? If so, consult a trusted vitamin and supplement store in Eau Claire, WI. Making sure your body is functioning at peak performance during a difficult time of year seems complex, but the committed and knowledgeable staff at Mother Nature’s Food can direct you to the best probiotics, immune boosters, vitamins and minerals for wellness.
Since 1971, Mother Nature’s Food has kept the Eau Claire community healthy with our natural supplements and food. We can help you find the right foods to fuel your body healthfully, and the right supplements to keep your immune system strong. On top of this, we offer a wide selection of essential oils and beauty products. Stop by today to put together a purchase that will help you make sure you have a healthy winter!