What Are the Benefits of Fermented Foods?
Humans have fermented foods for millennia. These delicacies are known for their distinctive tart or sour flavors. As you shop for natural and organic foods in Eau Claire, WI, look for fermented options to incorporate into your meals.
What are fermented foods?
As an avid connoisseur of natural and organic foods in Eau Claire, WI, you may be consuming fermented foods already and not even realize it. Fermentation is a natural process in which microorganisms convert carbohydrates like starch and sugar into alcohol or acids. Many associate fermentation with alcohol, such as wine, whiskey or vodka, and assume fermented foods aren’t healthy. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth, as fermented foods offer healthy, nutritious substitutes to add to your diet.
Fermented foods include tempeh, olives, sourdough bread, kefir, lassi, kimchi, yogurt, cheese, kombucha, miso and sauerkraut.
Why should I eat fermented foods?
Fermented foods provide your body with a range of health benefits. Incorporating these foods into your diet is easy and improves your overall wellness considerably:
- Probiotics: Fermented foods are rich in probiotic bacteria. This maintains the health of your digestive tract. So many health problems stem from disruptions to your gut microbiome and digestive system. The probiotics in fermented foods regulate these portions of your body. Those experiencing diarrhea, bloating, gas or constipation should consider trying some fermented foods to address the issue.
- Thorough digestion: These foods also help you digest more complex foods, like dairy. People with lactose sensitivities can usually eat kefir, yogurt and other fermented dairy items with no discomfort.
- Better nutrient absorption: Fermented foods help break down antinutrients like phytates and lectins, which disrupt the body’s process of absorbing nutrients. Seeds, nuts, grains and legumes contain antinutrients, so balancing your diet with fermented foods ensures your body absorbs the necessary nutrients to thrive.
- Improved immune system: Your immune system primarily lives in your gut. Maintaining a healthy gut boosts the efficacy of your immune system. Fermented foods also balance out the digestive discomfort caused by antibiotics when you get sick. Also, fermented foods tend to have high vitamin C, iron and zinc content, which are essential nutrients for protecting your body from viruses.
- Less stress and anxiety: Several studies indicate that certain probiotic strains found in fermented foods reduce the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Improved heart health: A diet rich in probiotics may reduce blood pressure and bad (LDL) cholesterol. Scientists believe fermented foods lower a person’s risk of heart disease.
While it began thousands of years ago as a method for preserving food, the fermentation process continues to provide enormous value to people alive today. A balanced diet that includes fermented foods might help you achieve your health and wellness goals.
If you’re shopping for natural and organic foods in Eau Claire, WI, including fermented foods, visit Mother Nature’s Foods today! We stock a wide variety of products to help you and your family live long, healthy lives. Our inventory also includes vitamins, supplements and other natural health items. We also have a team health food experts who can assist you while you shop. Contact us now if you have any questions about our fermented food options.
Categorised in: Natural Food Stores